Monday, July 18, 2011

A Very Old Chinese Song

I was just doing some work on my laptop while my mother was watching TV in the same room when I suddenly heard some women from a variety show singing a familiar song I so often heard during my childhood years. Although the women couldn’t carry the tune so well, I got nostalgic by hearing the songs. I got curious and searched the title on Youtube. I found the name of the original singer.




The singer was Teresa Teng. After learning her name, I immediately Googled it. I found a line that I completely agree with:

"Wherever there are Chinese people, the songs of Teresa Teng can be heard."

This remarkable woman gained her popularity on the 1960’s-70's. Despite being born several years after that, I could still hear her songs. Even after her death on 1995, her songs still remain popular.

Below is a video of one of her most popular songs. This is the song I heard from TV a few nights ago. This song is also usually sung by elder women on karaoke bars and during events. I’m not old, but I still find appreciation on her music. Hearing her songs really made me nostalgic.


More Songs by Teresa Teng


1 comment:

Rainy Kua said...

I like this song too. :)