Friday, April 12, 2013

Having a Twin Sister

What's it like to having a twin sister? People find it interesting after learning I have a twin. They are always eager to hear about having-a-twin stories. But I would always find myself dumbfounded where to start. In fact, I do not even have entertaining or funny stories prepared for them.

Having a twin is part of my life. I cannot explain what is special about it, because I have never experienced having an ordinary sibling. People may find having a twin is interesting. But to me, I also get curious what it's like to have a non-identical sibling. 

However, as years passed by, I am starting to get an idea about what made my life a bit different only because I have a twin. Sure, just as anyone would expect, having a twin earned me an instant best friend. We've been with each other since birth and had faced each milestone together. Perhaps many ordinary siblings do not develop a strong bond as strong as between twins, because they've been through different stages at different times. And so many of them may even become closer with their non-related peers instead.

However, having a twin may also have some unwanted consequences. Comparisons between siblings are already hard to tolerate, what more between twins? People like spotting the difference. Adjectives such as, prettier, smarter, nicer may unintentionally hurt the other twin, making her feel as a mere shadow of the "superior" twin. That is why my twin and I made sure to never compare other twins we encounter. 

Also, having a twin made us be treated as a single entity. We are two individuals. We may have the same likes and dislikes, but we are also different in some ways. Many people would only address us as one. Some friends would even give us one gift and tell us to just share it. Sometimes, because of this treatment, we ourselves cannot tell what makes us as individuals. That is why we decided to start our own blogs under separate names. It may be less work (and even be more lucrative) to just share a site, and write as a team, but we still decided to work separately, and see what happens.

Despite some setbacks, it's still great to have a twin. I've experienced some special treatment from others because of this fact. During our college internship in a large company, we were even called out to be introduced in boss's office only because we're twins. We had been accepted as interns just because the recruitment department find twins to be amazing. People like approaching us because they find us interesting. As students, we had helped each other during homeworks and we would always share notes (but never the exam papers LoL).

So, that's all that I can think of to say for now about having a twin. Happy Siblings Day, cheerfulnuts!

How about you, do you have a twin? Do you know someone who has a twin?

No comments: