Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Getting Over Google Adsense

As I have written in my previous post, my Adsense account was disabled by Google on September 27, 2011 because according to them, I pose a risk to their advertisers. As to how, I don’t know. They never gave me a single evidence to support their claims. Since they suspect that I’m a threat, they think it’s already enough reason to ban me. What’s worse, the money I have earned over time went down into the drain. It is unfair because I’ve invested my time and effort on my articles, yet, just because of a threat; they decided to take the money from me just like that.

I told a friend about it. All he said was “I told you so.” According to him, I should have just focused on a concrete business and not online writing. As to how people earn online seems highly questionable to him. Advertisements are like intangible products. Google could always take away your money if they deem your ‘transaction' as suspicious or fraudulent. However, you, the publisher, have no evidence to rebut their accusations. Now, I also have doubts with other advertising networks. I scoured through the Internet, trying to find an alternative and legitimate advertising network. I pored through the reviews found on the forums to see if I could trust other agencies or if they have any complaints by publishers. The experience with Google is quite traumatizing.

Slowly, I am rebuilding my blog. I put up ads from other companies as alternatives to Adsense. I realized though that I won’t work very hard anymore. It’s time to focus on my day job – the job that I’m lucky to have yet so much bored with. I am fortunate to have a job, but just because it bores me that I decided to get to online writing as my night job. I find myself working too hard on my second job though. I would even trade several hours at night to write instead of sleeping soundly in bed. Even at work, I would plan about my blog and Hubpages articles or answer questions on Webanswers instead of polishing my work at my real job. Ironically, the job I’ve been paying attention to backfired at me. This is disappointing, as this is the job I enjoy. I enjoy writing. I felt that this is where I truly fit in. I’ve met a lot of people through my online writing who are as introverted as I am. This is the place where I could relax and be myself. Perhaps it’s too naïve of me to think that I could easily replace my real job with online writing when the time comes.

Now, I woke up from that dream. I could continue with my online writing. However, I won’t replace my rest time for this. I will write when I feel like writing. Writing is a passion, a pastime, a hobby (with an earning potential if I get lucky), but I shouldn’t let it interfere with my real job. When I feel tired at night, I will rest. I will watch a movie. I will lie down in bed or play games at the computer. When I feel that I’m overflowing with ideas, then I will pour them down into this blog. That is how it should work. I should control it and not let the money lure me to become a slave. Writing is supposed to be an enjoyment, not a burden. After this realization, I felt a big burden being lifted off my shoulders. Having two jobs at the same time is very tiresome after all. Now, I have a job that I will work hard on, and a passion that I will slowly cultivate – no pressures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi seriousnuts,
I was also annoyed when I got this email from Google Adsense but the sum was so small that I said to myself "No sweat." It is good that you have a full time job. Writing demands an overdose of patience and perseverance. I have been a writer for many years and it can be stressful. Anyway I always look forward to reading your posts whenever you find the time. Take good care and my very best wishes to you always.
Judy

Unknown said...

Hello Judy. It's really annoying especially because we didn't do anything wrong. I love writing and will continue to do it but I will make sure it won't interfere with my day job. Thank you for your encouragement. I also enjoy reading your posts. Keep it up and best wishes to you as well.