Thursday, October 27, 2011

Simple Colds Could Lead to More Serious Illnesses

Our body has several lines of defenses against foreign matters. Getting colds could be considered a form of defense. Once you get colds, you sneeze, you get a runny nose, and you cough. Those are the body's natural ways to get rid of viruses and bacteria. However, when colds get neglected, it could become worse.



*First off, I am not a doctor, but I was an aspiring one. I love reading books regarding health. Due to financial constraints, I wasn't able to pursue medicine. This article was merely based on my experiences and my doctor's advice, as well as from reading health articles.

I decided to write about this after my mother was diagnosed with mild pneumonia. Pneumonia is an illness wherein the patient experiences symptoms similar to colds. In addition to these, he/she also experiences fatigue and shortness of breath. Pneumonia occurs when the body fails to block the viruses or bacteria from the lungs. The foreign substances enter the lungs and therefore the person's breathing is compromised.

I myself have experienced similar symptoms, yet to a milder degree. I had acute bronchitis - a condition prior to pneumonia. In other words,if bronchitis is left untreated, it could lead to pneumonia. So, if the lungs are affected in pneumonia, the bronchial tubes leading to the lungs are affected in bronchitis.

Having a bronchitis was a difficult time for me. I always felt tired. I didn't have a chance to rest because I had to finish my thesis by then. By the time I was already working, the illness came back. Again, the fatigue. I was even forced to join a group singing contest for our Christmas caroling, and boy, I had so much difficulty prolonging a note! Good thing it's a group contest. Haha.

These illnesses are easily prevented if you pay attention to your colds. If your symptoms persist for longer than 3 days, you should take heed. My mother's symptoms lasted for more than two weeks before I could finally convince her to see a doctor. Colds is a common disease, yet if neglected, could lead to serious illness. It is therefore important that you take a rest when sick. Drink lots of fluids as well. Take note of the color of your phlegm, so you could tell your doctor just in case. A greenish or yellowish phlegm is a sign of infection. Avoid taking antitussives - drugs that suppress your cough. Coughing is supposed to bring out the foreign matters from your system, and suppressing yourself from coughing could only push them further inside. Unless your coughing disturbs your sleep, there is no reason for you to take antitissives.

Take good care of your health. Eat nutritious foods, drink lots of water, and observe proper hygiene. Most importantly, rest well. Lack of sleep could greatly diminish your body's defenses.

No comments: