Sunday, October 30, 2011

How to Save Money: Tips for Pinoy Shoppers

Hello there fellow Filipino shoppers! If you're living in Manila, you know that earning money could become very difficult. We work for long hours and yet get less than enough wages. The prices of products we consume are also regularly increasing. The times are becoming more and more difficult for us. It is therefore mandatory for all of us to know how to save our hard-earned money.

The good news is, you could also shop and save at the same time! Unlike in the US, we don't have coupons available in the country. US citizens are able to save lots of money by diligently collecting coupons. Not for us Filipinos. Yet, don't despair, we also can save lots of money the Pinoy style - through our credit cards and reward points. To illustrate my point, I will tell you about my own shopping experience.

I am a BDO credit card owner. I also have my savings account in the said bank. For every time I deposit savings or swipe my plastic card, I earn points for my BDO Emerald Reward Card (you should apply first for an emerald card, ask your nearest BDO branch). It also works similarly with SM Advantage Card, by that, you could also earn points when you shop at SM department and groceries stores, Watson's, Ace Hardware, and Surplus Shop. You could then use the points to rebate your purchases from the aforementioned stores. So, if you accumulate 200 points, you could get 200 Pesos less the amount from your purchases at say, Watson's.

Just today, I went to Surplus Shop at SM Mall of Asia upon seeing the Sale sign on the shop window. I decided to buy two pairs of trousers worth 350 pesos in total. I was about to pay in cash at the counter when I remembered about my BDO Emerald Reward Card. So I presented the card to the cashier upon payment. After adding up to my total points, I told the cashier to use that card to purchase my items. I have already accumulated a few hundred points from my previous transactions, and I was glad to learn that I had enough points to pay for everything. So, I got two pairs of trousers without having to bring out any cash! I was able to save 350 pesos!

At lunch, my family and I decided to eat at Sizzling Pepper Steak. My mother owns a Metrobank credit card. She had collected a number of charge slips worth above 2500 pesos each (previous transactions from our groceries). Each slip is equivalent to 120 pesos rebate at Metrobank-partner restaurants. Sizzling Pepper Steak is a partner restaurant, and they agree to accept three charge slips at maximum per transaction - meaning 360 pesos rebate. Both of my parents are senior citizens, so they are entitled for 20% discount. The rebates were deducted from my sister's and my meals. From a supposedly total amount of 910 pesos, we arrived at the final amount of 433 pesos! Amazing!

My meal at Sizzling Pepper Steak. Yummy!

The bottom line is, know what your credit card has in store for you. Always read the flyers that come along with your statement of account. It is through these flyers that you could learn about your bank's latest perks. If reading flyers is not your thing, you could always ask the bank manager or staff at your nearest branch about their latest offers. Keep in mind that although shopping could help you earn points and discounts, you shouldn't buy things that you do not need at all. Many cardholders become so excited about the perks that they keep buying things they do not need just to avail the discount and ending up spending more than they should. So, shop wisely! Always keep the charge slips from your purchases. Each slip could be worth something. Have fun shopping!

2 comments:

Rainy Kua said...

I love this entry, seriousnuts! I can still taste my lunch. I am very stingy, but I admit that sometimes, I am too lazy to pay attention to these things. Planning is very important. I think you can also earn points with BDO Reward Card or SM Advantage Card at Toy Kingdom, Kultura, and Our Home. They are also owned by SM.

Unknown said...

Thanks cheerfulnuts! Oh yeah, thanks for the additional information. I'm just not sure if you could avail rebates with those stores you mentioned with the Reward Card or just earn points.